Tuesday, June 1, 2010

June 20, 1972: Run Away


I ran down to Rainy River creek and stared at the stream. I saw leaves sailing down the steady river. I saw fish swimming and jumping from the cool waters. I saw the shore of Canada and its bountiful plant life. I thought to myself "Jump and swim across already", but my body wouldn't budge. I was frozen.


Finally, I jumped and swam. I kicked and paddled until reached the other side. What seemed like days took several minutes; suddenly...I was on the other side.

I took one last look back at where I came from. I saw leaves sailing down the steady river. I saw fish swimming and jumping from the cool waters. I saw the shore of Minnesota and its bountiful plant life.


And then,


I ran from the Vietnam War draft. I ran from the government. I ran from home...


No comments:

Post a Comment